The Best of Drugstore Clay Masks!

Sunday, March 24, 2013



I've been meaning to do this post for a while after acquiring quite a few clay masks. I have quite oily, blemish prone skin and since clay masks are meant to be really good at clearing the skin and drawing out all the impurities, I love using them. I tend to use a clay mask once/twice a week depending on the time I have.
First up is:

Lush Mask of Magnanimity
I bought this mask thinking it was a cleanser to be honest, I didn't really twig it was a mask and certainly didn't realise it was a clay mask. It has a very thick consistency, the thickest of all of the masks I own, and it has a strong minty/peppermint smell. Its also quite gritty which does make spreading it pretty challenging, however once you have applied a generous layer and leave it for 20 minutes, it makes your skin feel seriously clean. It does feel a little tingly on the skin as with all clay masks there is a slight tightening as well as it dries. I personally love that because it makes me feel like it is working! This is probably my favorite out of the clay masks.
Consistency: Very thick
Time Left On: Approx 20 minutes for it to fully dry
Result: Very clear skin

The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Mask
This mask has to be my least favourite, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just for me I find that it doesn't work as well on my skin. Its probably the lightest of the masks and it doesn't really dry with a tightening feeling like the others do. Its a slightly thick consistency but also very spreadable. This is probably the mask I'd recommend doing regularly, its light enough not to strip your skin each time and so you could probably get away with doing this daily. It also has a strong tea tree smell which personally I'm not too keen on.
Consistency: Fairly thick but spreadable
Time Left On: Approx 5 - 10 minutes
Result: Fresh skin but doesn't really feel like impurities have been lifted.

The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask
This is my most recent clay mask, and although I certainly didn't need it, it is one I really enjoy wearing. I really like all of the Body Shop Seaweed range and I certainly wasn't disappointed with this one. Its a fairly thick consistency but it is also a little creamy too, very easy to spread and it feels nice and tingly when on the skin. This dries quite quickly and definitely feels like it is working on the skin. The feeling isn't quite as clear as the Lush one but this definitely comes in a close second.
Consistency: Fairly thick but also a little creamy
Time Left On: Approx 10 minutes
Result: Clear skin

Boots Botanics Ionic Clay Mask
I find this mask quite strange although I do quite like it. It has quite a runny consistency, so much so that you have to shake it well before applying it to make it slightly thicker. However once on it is really nice. It dries quite quickly and although there isn't much tingling it really feels as though your skin is much clearer and fresher after washing it off. 
Consistency: A little bit runny if not shaken
Time Left On: Approx 10 minutes
Result: Fresh, clear skin


After 10 Minutes - L-R [Lush Mask of Magnaminty, BS Tea Tree Mask, BS Ionic Clay Mask, Botanics Clay Mask]


I hope that has been helpful to your guys, I would highly recommend clay masks to anyone with oily, blemish prone skin as they really do help my skin so much. My skin really suffers when I haven't used a clay mask in a while!


post signature

You Might Also Like

26 beauty notes

  1. I love lush I may have to give this a try!

    andrea-herinfinitevariety.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try a clay mask so thank you for the reviews!

    www.laurensibs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lush one sounds great, I've actually never used a clay mask before, I'll need to pick one up

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love the Lush masks, I particularly love Catastrophe Cosmetic, so I'll definitely try the clay one you recommended next time I'm in the shop as I haven't tried that. I like the look of the consistency of the Body Shop seaweed mask too xo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely tempted to give the lush mask a try :)

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lush mask sounds lovely!

    Kimberley x

    http://kimberley77.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Desperate to try masks like these, I've heard amazing things! x
    Lyndseymaebeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am obsessed with face masks and I absolutely love the Lush one! ((: Great post hun!

    I am running an International Giveaway on my blog now, and I'd love it if you enter! <33

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, thanks for the reviews! My skin is combo/oily and acne-prone but also sensitive, so I'm always looking for a good mask that will keep my skin clear without irritating it. The Body Shop Seaweed mask looks especially great! And I used to use the Mask of Magnaminty for years- it's a bit much for my skin now, but the scent is incredible! :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love clay masks, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lush mask sounds like a good one! Another good one to try is the Sanctuary 5 minute detox clay mask, weird smell, but really really nice!

    beautyandtheb1.co.uk

    B xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mask of Magniminty is on my list! Great to hear your thoughts on it!


    trinawears.blogspot.com | nyc style blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the seaweed one - the whole range is so good! Definitely tempted by the Botanics one too xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how you organized this review. It was nice to able to see the consistency before and after drying. The lush mask sounds amazing. I don't own any lush products, but they sound so amazing. I'm constantly browsing them online.
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so helpful! I generally stick to the Montange Jeunesse masks but I've been wanting to venture out into the clay mask world a little more- loving the sound of the seaweed one and the Lush mask.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm prone to blemishes but my skin is super dry! I wish I could use clay masks but they'd probably make my skin ten times drier!

    www.thumbelinalillie.com
    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good review, found this very helpful. Will definitely be checking out the lush mask as ive heard such great things about it!.

    Fab Blog.

    My Fashion/Beauty blog.
    http://xfruitytooty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good review, found this very helpful. I will definitely be checking out the lush mask. Ive heard such great things about it!.

    Fab Blog.

    My Fashion/Beauty blog.
    http://xfruitytooty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been looking for a good clay mask, i will have to try the lush one! :) I have the same skin type as you, so fingers crossed i will get the same results. thank you

    http://jodie-melissa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. THE BODY SHOP IS ACTUALLY JESUS!

    xo, ZEBRA AND MEERKAT ~

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading this post as I also have oily, blemish prone skin which can be a pain! I've also tried the lush mask of magnaminty one and I thought it was a little thick and gritty too but definitely leaves your skin feeling nice and refreshed and clearer.
    I really want to try the body shop masks so really happy you reviewed them! Thank you :)
    I love the catastrophe cosmetic mask from lush for spots..I think it really does a good job at bringing down the redness.

    Gemma xo

    gemmasdiaries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've worked in the Body Shop for three years and love the tea tree mask.. The bad thing in a way though is it brings out all my blemishes so it does eventually clear the skin but it gets worse before it gets better haha!

    Please take a look at my blog, I'm a new blogger :) Thank you x
    http://allthingsbeautiful-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I recently tried the Botantics Ionic Clay Mask too and also found it too runny. So runny that when I first opened the bottle it sprayed all over my white walls! Will be sticking to my original favourite from now on; The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. In addition to a clay mask, you should also use Citrus Clear's Spot Treatment after you wash of the clay mask. I had HUGE nose pores and crap in the pores. I've tried strips and other garbage and nothing has worked as well. One week after the clay mask + Citrus Clear Spot Treatment the pores shrank and my skin is blackhead / black pore free compared to only a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  25. While this post was helpful, I think it is entirely misleading to call these drugstore clay masks. What drugstore sells any of these products, save for the last one maybe?? I was really disappointed to find that this was not at all what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting x

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe