The World of Male Grooming!

Monday, April 08, 2013

Today I’m going to talk about something a little different but hopefully something that you guys will enjoy... the fascinating world of Male Grooming! To be honest if you’d asked me a year ago about male grooming, I would’ve looked at you in shock... “Men use skincare and beauty products too?!?” However over the past year a lot of things have changed and I’ve certainly been enlightened, shall we say.

Having grown up in a very girl-dominated family and with male friends/boyfriends who would never in a million years admit to using skincare/pampering products even if they did use them (which I’m not actually sure they did besides a bit of shower gel), I’ve never really been exposed to the world of male grooming. That is until I moved into a mixed-gender flat when I started university last September. Boy has that been an experience and a half.

I soon discovered that one of my male flatmates carried a bottle of fake tan around with him, even going as far as leaving a bottle in the kitchen. His reasoning when I asked him about, “Something to do while my pasta cooks!”..., as if that was normal!! Another male flatmate was introduced to the world of sunbeds and beauty salons at university, he now goes on a weekly basis (yep, a weekly basis!!!), and despite coming back sunburnt the other week, he hasn’t been put off. Are men now risking themselves more than women in the beauty department?

In fact according to this survey by First4Lawyers, the top injury that men suffer at the hands of beauty is UV tanning with a pretty hefty 20% suffering an injury! Another statistic that shocked me is that 10% suffered an injury while leg waxing. I didn’t even know men did wax their legs!!!

Maybe just my flat is the exception and I’m really hoping this isn’t going to become a growing trend. For me personally I much prefer low maintenance in a guy, a bit of face wash, moisturiser, etc, I can handle. Sunbeds, fake tan and leg waxing I most certainly cannot; in fact it would actually seriously put me off a guy. Taking care of yourself is one thing, pampering yourself on a weekly basis is another... 

What do you guys think of male grooming?

*This has been written entirely by me but is a partnered post


post signature

You Might Also Like

15 beauty notes

  1. I think it's a good idea for men to be concerned about skincare but that's where I draw the line. My guy takes longer than me to get ready but he doesn't really do much, except maybe trim his beard and moisturise!

    I like a man to look rugged. Tanning is a HUGE turn off. Wah!

    Tara
    www.thestylerawr.com
    xoxo

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's definitely a good think that men can be a bit more open to grooming, but weekly salon visits is a bit far! My man can literally be ready in fifteen-twenty minutes, from waking up to walking out the door. I think it's a very thin line!

    Maxine, xx
    beautybeatsbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes, I like well groomed but there is most definitely a line! xxx

      Delete
  3. I think it is good that men look after themselves and are making an effort but if they take longer than me to get ready there is something wrong. I know so many lads that fake tan and wax, but they do look good for it.

    P.xx
    greywalls94.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, haha can't have them taking longer to get ready than us:) xx

      Delete
  4. Do you go to Newcastle Uni? I think I recognise what halls you're in from outfit photos in your bedroom, I also live in the same halls :)
    My male flatmates aren't the same as yours at all, one of them is so not into grooming he uses a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner because it's easier, the other 2 don't even use conditioner I think.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aa, yes I am aha!
      I think I have a very image conscious flat ha:) x

      Delete
  5. Aha you have raised a pressing issue cus the male skincare/beauty industry definitely seems to be expanding but Omgg I cant believe your flatmates use sun beds & fake tan and even whilst cooking pasta lol I definitely feel the same about guys and their grooming; face wash and moisturiser only please actually I think I'd like a man with a shaved chest cus I dont exactyly find chest hair very pleasing to the eye aha but thats it lol lovely post hun xox

    ohsofashionxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Male grooming is definately a controversial topic...Although I guess theres nothing wrong with a guy wanting to look good but sometimes they take it too far. If a guy's world revolves around groominng then thats a problem

    http://thelittlebigobsession.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I force my boy to care about his skin but that's about it. He shaves and gets haircuts when he likes, doesn't bother me at all!


    -Trina
    trinawears.blogspot.com | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't mind a bit of face wash, moisturiser, etc x

      Delete
  8. pretty looks, you have great style ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting x

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe